# Ode to Autumn – John Keats
Book you have to read in class 12th English is Rainbow Part II
Presented By : Amar’s Classes for English
# About Author – John Keats
Ode to Autumn is written by John Keats. He was born in 31 October, 1795 in London, United Kingdom and died in 23 February, 1821 in Rome, Italy. He was an English Romantic Poet. He is deeply interested in Cricket and boxing. His poem ENDYMION (1818) was well appreciated by Wordsworth. His important Odes are , To a Nightingale, On Melancholy, Ode to Autumn etc.
He died of tuberculosis at the age of 26.
# Lyrics of Ode to Autumn
Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness,
Close bosom-friend of the maturing sun;
Conspiring with him how to load and bless
With fruit the vines that round the thatch-eves run;
To bend with apples the moss’d cottage-trees,
And fill all fruit with ripeness to the core;
To swell the gourd, and plump the hazel shells
With a sweet kernel; to set budding more,
And still more, later flowers for the bees,
Until they think warm days will never cease,
For summer has o’er-brimm’d their clammy cells.
Who hath not seen thee oft amid thy store?
Sometimes whoever seeks abroad may find
Thee sitting careless on a granary floor,
Thy hair soft-lifted by the winnowing wind;
Or on a half-reap’d furrow sound asleep,
Drows’d with the fume of poppies, while thy hook
Spares the next swath and all its twined flowers:
And sometimes like a gleaner thou dost keep
Steady thy laden head across a brook;
Or by a cyder-press, with patient look,
Thou watchest the last oozings hours by hours.
Where are the songs of spring? Ay, Where are they?
Think not of them, thou hast thy music too,—
While barred clouds bloom the soft-dying day,
And touch the stubble-plains with rosy hue;
Then in a wailful choir the small gnats mourn
Among the river sallows, borne aloft
Or sinking as the light wind lives or dies;
And full-grown lambs loud bleat from hilly bourn;
Hedge-crickets sing; and now with treble soft
The red-breast whistles from a garden-croft;
And gathering swallows twitter in the skies.
# Word Power of Ode to Autumn
1) Abroad = विदेश
2 ) Achieve=प्राप्त करना
3 ) Acquaintance=परिचय
5) Asleep=सोया हुआ
6) Barred=रुका हुआ
7) Bend =झुकना
8) Bleat = मिमियाना
9) Bloom = खिलना
11) Brook =नदी
12) Budding =कली लगना
13) Carless =लपारवाह
14) Cease =जब्त करना
15) Cell =मधुकोष
16) Choir =गायक मंडली
17) Clammy =चिपचिपा
bossom friend =जिगरी दोस्त
19) Core=पूरा, भरपुर
20) Cottage =झोपड़ी
21) Drowsed =ऊंघा हुआ
Eaves = फुस का घर
23) Entitled =शीर्षक
24) Fume=सुगंध धुंआ
25) Furrow =कुंड
26) Garden-croft =बगीचा की भूमि
27) Swallow = अबाबील
28) Whoever =जो कोई
29) Willful =जान बूझकर
30) Gathering =जमा करना
31) Gleaner =संग्रह करने वाला
32) Gnats =छोटे छूटे कीड़े
33) Gourd =कद्दू
34) Granary =कोठी अनाज की
35) Greatness =महानता
36) Hazel = अखरोट
37) Hedge-cricket = झींगुर
38) Hilly = पहाड़ी
39) Hook =फॅसा हुआ
40) Kernel =बिज़
41) Laden = लदा हुआ
42) Load =भरना
43) Warm = गर्म
44) Whistle = सिटी बजाना
45) Maturing =परिपक्त
fruitfulness =मीठा भरपूर
47) Mists = कुहासा
48) Mourn = शोक मनाना
49) Mythology = पौरोणिक कथा
50) Oozing =बहते हुए टपकना
51) Pains = दर्द
52) Plump = मांसल
53) Poppies = एक प्रकार का फूल
54) Published = प्रकाशित हुआ
55) Red-breast= रोबिन चिडया
56) Vines = लता
57) Ripeness = पका हुआ
58) Romantic = रोमांचक
59) Season = मौसम
60) Seed = बीज
61) Sell = सौदा धोका
62) Shells= कबच शंक
63) Sinking = धंसता
64) Steady = निरंतर
65) Spares =बचे हुए
66) Stubble =खूँटी
67) Sufferings =कषट
68) Twitter =चहकना
69) Swath = ढ़ीला
70) Thatch = छज्जा
71) Treble = जोर से
72 ) Twined= ऐठा हुआ
73 ) Voracious =भुखकड़
# MCQs of Ode to Autumn
Video are also available for MCQs
1) John Keats was a________poet.
2) John Keats was born in_______
3) John Keats died in_________
4) John Keats died at the age of __
5) ______is conspiring with autumn to load and bless the vines.
A. The sun
B. The moon
C. The star
6) _____and _____are the friend of maturing sun.
A. Season of mist & mellow fruitfulness
B. Sun and autumn
C. Moon and sun
D. Rain and season
7) ___________twitter in the sky.
D. Red breast
8) ‚The winnowing wind‛ softly lifts the hair of____
9) _____sits carelessly on granary floor.
10) ________is the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness
11) The cause of John Keats’s death was________
12) John Keats was deeply interested in___and___
A. Cricket and tennis
B. Cricket and Boxing
C. Boxing and Badminton
D. Cricket and Hockey
13) John’s poem ‚Endymion‛ was well appreciated
B. Rudyard Kipling
C. Rupert Brooke
D. John Donne
14) John Keats studied at_________at Enfield
A. Clark’s school
B. The Reverside School
C. Pathway School
D. The Doon School
15) _____whistle from a garden croft.
A. Yellow breast
B. Red breast
C. Pink breast
16) _____bleat loudly from hilly land.
A. Full grown lambs
B. Full grown goats
C. Full grown cows
D. Full grown cats
17) The fruits ripen in_______
18) The close friend of autumn is____
A. the sun
B. the moon
C. the light
19) The poet of the ‚Ode of Autumn‛ is_____
A. John Keats
B. W.H. Auden
C. Walt Whitman
D. None of these
20) John Keats likes to read_______mythology.
21) ‚Ode to Autumn‛ was published in______
22) John Keats was born at______in London.
23) Autumn start with the depature of ____ season.
24) The theme of Autumn is ___
B. Fulfilment/ Maturity
D. None of these
25) ‘To Autumn’ is a __
A. an epic
B. an elegy
C. a ballad
D. an ode
26) Autumn start after departure of
27) ‘Ode to Autumn’ is a ___
28) Ode to Autumn is poem of __
29) Autumn is a season of mellow ____
A. no wind
D. None of these
30) _____ was great lover of nature.
A. John Donne
B. Walt Whitman
C. John Keats
D. W.H. Auden
# Question Answer of Ode to Autumn
1. How do you feel in different seasons? which is most enjoyable one?
Ans- In summer it is too hot; in the rainy season it is very sultry: in winter it is very cold. I like autumn and spring the most. it is cool and pleasant
2. New leaves and fruits grow on trees in a particular season. which is that?
Ans- In autumn fruits and new leaves appear.
3. Have you seen a tree bent and loaded with fruits ? What feeling does the sight evoke in you?
Yes, I have seen mango trees bent and loaded with fruits. I feel how bountiful nature is.
4. Who are depicted as friends in the first two lines?
Ans- Seasons of mist and the naturing sun are depicted as friends in the first two lines.
5. What happens in autumn?
Ans- All fruits get ripeness and flowers bloom in autumn. All bird start to sing to see the sweetness of the season.
6. In what sense does the sun conspire with Autumn?
Ans- The sun conspires with the autumn by offering fruits and flowers. its ray makes the fruit fleshy and fat and also tasty.
7. How do the sun and summer help in ripeness of fruits in autumn?
Ans- The sun and summer help in the ripeness of fruits and to make them fleshy or fat in autumn. They fill very much heat and energy.
8. How are autumn and summer related to spring?
Ans- Autumn and summer are related to spring season. It comes before the arrival of summer. Autumn starts with the departure of summer season.
Amar’s Classes for English
Address : Mirganj, Begusarai, Near Mamta Hotel – 851101
Contact : 9570589502 || 9304714697